Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Illusion of Confidence

I came today to give you a wake up call. Confidence does not exist. There now you know. Bye.
Okay you may think I am a bit crazy (I may be). Allow me to elaborate. First I want you to do me a favor. Please use your imagination to picture the most confident person you know. What makes you say they are confident. Is it the self-assured way they walk? The way their eyes never look down when faced with a challenge? The fact they do not burst into a flaming pile of non-confidence when speaking in front of crowds? Do you enjoy my rhetorical questions? Well I have one more.
What do all of these signs of confidence have in common? They are all external factors. Confidence is about what a person does. It has nothing to do with how a person thinks. You can appear confident no matter how little confidence you think you have. Anyone can become that confident person you imagined earlier (well not exactly like that person, everyone is a special unique snowflake of uniqueness). You just have to take it one step at a time.
Like all great journeys the path to confidence starts with a single step. First work on having a more self-assured walk and work on traits from there. Then all of these minor changes build air of confidence around you. Do the things confident people do. I believe someone once said motion makes emotion. If you keep acting in the exact manner as confident person does you will start to feel confident inside.
Now you may say there is no way you can act like a confident person. That is not true you just need practice. You need to repeat the actions a confident person would take in situations. You repeat the actions to create new neural pathways in your brain. You keep repeating these actions and the neutral pathways grow more complicated. Then once the pathway has been used enough it becomes second nature.
That is how we can all become confident.
-------------------- 
If your mind almost exploded then share this on twitter by clicking the bird.
Tweet: I just had my mind blown. http://bit.ly/1MntBh6

No comments:

Post a Comment