Pages

Friday, August 14, 2015

Open Letter to Death

Dear Death,
You have been there since the day i was born.  You just linger in the background watching me.  Quiet and patient, you  follow me day in and out.  It feels like your getting closer and closer every day that passes. It's almost like you're a predator and I am your prey.  You stalk and hunt me waiting for the right moment.  When that moment comes you'll pounce and take me away forever.  I wish you would just go away.  I wish you would leave me alone.  You never listen though.  You just sit and stare at your prey.  I tried to ignore you.  That didn't work though.  I would wake up every morning to see you staring at me.  I would see you whenever i got into my car and went to work.  I would even see you every single time i took a flight.  I tried so hard to forget you were there but you would just keep getting closer and closer.  After awhile I could even smell your pungent odor as I felt your breath down my neck.  Then I realized that there just isn't a way to get rid of you.  At first I thought i was the only one who experienced this.  I believed i was the only one having to endure this eternal fear of you.  Then I found out i wasn't.  Every living person fears you.  Since the beginning of time we feared you.  I wondered how they got through it each day.  The answer was to accept it.  To accept the thing called death that hunts us all.  To accept the same death that stalks every single one of us.  We can only wait as it gets closer and closer.  We can only be ready for when it comes to take us away.  I'm not afraid anymore.  Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment